Friday 1 May 2015

2015 is all about the CRM (and Process)

By Lisa Jones, Director, Barclay Jones

I’ve been finding myself saying recently “2015 is the year of the CRM”

Every recruitment leader I speak to at the moment has:
  •          The right people on place (or is getting there)
  •          Their offering is refined
  •          They are not talking about recession

Many of my clients are using language like:
  
  •     “In my day I had a 15 point list of what I needed to do to make a placement”
  •          “There’s too much tech in my business”
  •          “When did it become ok to leave work at 5:30 and not hit target?”

Option Paralysis


I’ve written and spoken before about option paralysis and how many recruiters have so much access to tech that the process has totally broken down.

Systems: LinkedIn, LinkedIn Recruiter, Twitter, Job Boards, CRM, websites, etc…

Process: sourcing, posting, raising profile, managing groups and communities, calls, emails, sms, calls

Tech: mobiles, laptops, tablets

If your recruiters are not saying it, their thinking it – “Stop the bus”

The younger ones think this is normal (bless them!) The older ones are wondering when in the hell their job became like this.

Rush Jobs and Creeps

Plus a recruiter’s typical eagerness to please unhappy clients is manifesting itself is a more rushed process (bad adverts reverse spamming themselves poor applications) and wasp chewing (clients not being culled even if they take too long to offer a top candidate, or they give your role to other “better value” recruiters.)  The industry doesn’t say “no” enough and is frightened to market who they are working for.

Too Many Systems, Not Enough Process

I still meet recruiters who, for all intents and purposes, appear to have no process – but are overwhelmed in tech and this makes them feel like they are busy.

My job is to ask questions, see how recruiters operate, what buttons they press and when and how tech is being used in the business.  The gap between the perceived process (management) and the reality (recruiters, their clients and their talent) is often huge.

2015 is the year of the CRM

Why am I saying this?  I think it is wood for the trees time.  I think that all of the above leads me to a conclusion that although I am a tech geek, I am a process evangelist.  I want my recruiters to have a USP (very few have) and I want their clients to value them. I want my clients to have an asset which attract clients, candidates and most of all recruiters.

You value something you want but don’t have.  If you place 80% of your jobs through the talent on your own database, this is a phenomenal stat (and you need a campaign to market this in every call you make).  If you place 80% of your jobs through your system, your clients and your talent need you.  Your clients buy your data, and your talent buys your skill and job opportunities.  What a position to be in!  And what a way to attract recruiters in to your own brand!

If you don’t know your placement through your CRM stat, find out.  If the stat is poor, create a program to fix it!

Your 2015 Mission? To have an asset worth buying

If I owned a recruitment business I’d make it my mission in 2015 to end the year placing more candidates through my own systems than I did in 2014.  I’d hire recruiters who got this and worked with me to build my asset and I’d nail every deal around my ability to manage my database and delivery speedy solutions to their job problems.

… and I’d stop selling poor adverts, access to tech and business size – they’re not deal makers.

Lisa Jones is a Director of Barclay Jones, a consultancy delivering business change and improved recruiter efficiency using recruitment technology and social media. She speaks at many recruitment industry events.


No comments:

Post a Comment